Inverness Cathedral sits on the opposite side of the River Ness to Inverness Castle.
Visitors are welcome.
About the Cathedral
Inverness Cathedral was built between 1866-1869. It sits on the banks of the River Ness, near Ness Bridge. The Cathedral has impressive vaulted wooden ceilings and the walls are lined with beautifully coloured stained glass windows depicting scenes from the bible.
There are no spires! The original design by Alexander Ross had spires, but lack of funds meant the work could not be completed. Notice the painting of the original design near the font at the back of the Cathedral.
You can pick up the ‘walk round’ guide or for more detail there is a guidebook on sale at the entrance. There is a café with a small shop behind the cathedral. Inverness Cathedral is only a short walk from the town centre. There is a Cathedral car park which is inexpensive and gives easy access to the town centre and walks along the River Ness.
Free admission. Open daily.
Inverness Cathedral, Ardross Street IV3 5NS